1A Greek hexameter epic poem traditionally ascribed to Homer, describing the travels of Odysseus during his ten years of wandering after the sack of Troy. He eventually returned home to Ithaca and killed the suitors who had plagued his wife Penelope during his absence.
- 1.1as noun an odysseyA long and eventful or adventurous journey or experience.‘his odyssey from military man to politician’
journey, voyage, trek, travels, quest, crusade, pilgrimage, wandering, journeyingView synonyms
- ‘The book has been criticized for being outlandish but its appeal lies in its strong narrative voice and its Odyssean story line.’
- ‘This talented photographer made an Odyssean journey from his home in California to photograph Britain's stables out of personal interest.’
- ‘Anderson cuts back the distracting noises and crumbling static to reveal a stark paean about Odyssean fortitude.’
- ‘Pound's eye is always on resourceful intelligences, embodiments of the Odyssean archetype.’
- ‘You don't, in fact, have to do much to present a story in Odyssean terms.’
- 1.1as noun an odysseyA long and eventful or adventurous journey or experience.