Basic Guidelines For English Spellings
A colleague or friend.
companion, boon companion, bosom friend, best friend, close friend, intimate, confidante, confidant, familiar, soul mate, alter ego, second self, shadow, playmate, playfellow, classmate, schoolmate, workmate, ally, comrade, associate
- ‘an old oppo of mine’
1930s abbreviation of opposite number.
- short for opposition research‘they are doing extensive oppo, looking over her public financial records, getting copies of her divorce papers’
- ‘Since he's only been in the Senate five years, the GOP oppo team will have less of a record to mine.’
- ‘There needs to be greater integration between these campaigns and online volunteers, doing oppo and raising cash.’
- ‘They are so scared of her that they are doing oppo on her.’
- ‘The nasty secret of the elections is undoubtedly the enormous growth in the past four years of the people who "do oppo".’
- ‘The election was only on Sunday but already these oppo guys are at each other's throats.’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips