Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A large multinucleate bone cell which absorbs bone tissue during growth and healing.
- ‘The rate at which cells called osteoclasts break down bone is slowed, and the production of new bone increases.’
- ‘Vitamin D indirectly stimulates osteoclasts to resorb bone and is necessary for the intestinal absorption of calcium.’
- ‘Note the presence of numerous osteoclasts lining the bone trabeculae.’
- ‘They activate mature osteoclasts indirectly through osteoblasts, inhibit osteoclast cell death, and stimulate osteoclast progenitor formation.’
- ‘Williams also showed that genistein decreased acid secretion by osteoclasts, thus decreasing bone dissolution.’
Late 19th century from osteo-‘bone’ + Greek klastēs ‘breaker’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips