Having an oval outline or ovoid shape, like an egg.‘The lobes, which are preserved as carbonized remains of round or ovate outline, have a thickened or darkened rim.’
oval, egg-shaped, elliptic, ovate, ovoid, oviform, ellipsoidal
- ‘This proposed suborder is defined by a number of synapomorphies of the carapace including ovate shape, presence of an oblique fold, short hinge line, and a convex posterior margin.’
- ‘The surfaces have an ovate outline and are mildly convex.’
- ‘The shape varies but it is usually ovate, kidney-shaped, or bean-shaped.’
- ‘The red mangrove with smaller, ovate leaves, grows in the shallow edges of the water.’
Mid 18th century from Latin ovatus ‘egg-shaped’.
1A member of an order of Welsh bards recognized at an Eisteddfod.
- 1.1historical A Celtic priest or natural philosopher.
Early 18th century from the Greek plural ouateis ‘soothsayers’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips