Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A solid saturated fatty acid obtained from palm oil and other vegetable and animal fats.
Chemical formula: CH₃(CH₂)₁₄COOH
- ‘Examples of saturated and unsaturated fatty acids are palmitic acid and linoleic acid, with 16 carbons and no double bonds, and 18 carbons with three double bonds, respectively.’
- ‘A common example is beeswax that is composed primarily of myricyl palmitate, formed by the reaction of palmitic acid with an alcohol.’
- ‘When this esterifies with only a vegetable fat-based palmitic acid, it is considered a halal vitamin A for milk fortification.’
- ‘One possibility, mentioned above, is that the palmitic acid is preferentially localized in the outer monolayer of each bilayer in the profile.’
- ‘Levels of the potentially harmful saturated fat palmitic acid were also 26 percent lower than in the milk of conventionally fed cows.’
Mid 19th century palmitic from French palmitique, from palme (see palm).
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips