Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
Random mating within a breeding population.
- ‘Microsatellite markers revealed no particular departure from panmixia within each local population and a genetic structure consistent with isolation by distance.’
- ‘If the size of the effective breeding population is still greater, approaching panmixia in varying degrees, evolution will be slowed down considerably.’
- ‘With an extinction-colonization model, the probability of fixation can be much reduced relative to panmixia.’
- ‘Random mating can be looked for by using the Hardy-Weinberg test, or conversely departure from panmixia can be detected by using linkage disequilibrium tests.’
- ‘The population size N is considered as constant, with as many males as females, reproducing by panmixia.’
Late 19th century modern Latin, from German Panmixie, from Greek pan ‘all’ + mixis ‘mixing’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips