Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
Worthy of being or eligible to be pope.
- ‘To speak of a cardinal as papabile is to say that he is thought to be a likely candidate for pope.’
- ‘The two men considered most papabile (capable of becoming pope) among the DUP cardinals when the next conclave eventually comes are deputy leader Peter Robinson and the party's newest star, Nigel Dodds.’
- ‘Four now run curial offices themselves… All four are today mentioned as papabile, or potential candidates for the papacy.’
- ‘And who is the most papabile, to use the Italian word for a possible Pope?’
- ‘‘It's interesting that several people once thought to be papabile are now regarded as too old or infirm’ said Lawler.’
Italian, from Latin papa ‘pope’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips