Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
An insect whose larvae live as parasites which eventually kill their hosts, e.g. an ichneumon wasp.
- ‘Such treatment typically kills the host; parasitoids are attracting interest as natural controls on insect pests.’
- ‘Insects include among their number parasites, parasitoids, carnivores, herbivores, scavengers, and detritivores.’
- ‘Larvae develop as parasitoids of 13 insect orders, spider eggs, ticks, pseudoscorpions, and nematodes, or as primary or secondary feeders on plant tissue.’
- ‘Sticky hairs don't work as well against most parasitoids, whose larvae grow inside and ultimately kill their caterpillar hosts.’
- ‘In parasitoids, the presence of conspecific females should modify decisions of females confronted with already-parasitized hosts.’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips