nounplural noun partridgeberries
1A creeping North American plant of the madder family with red berries that are a favored food of game birds.
Mitchella repens, family Rubiaceae‘The Canada Yew type was composed primarily of Canada yew, with Canada mayflower and partridgeberry making up an additional 33% of the importance.’
- ‘Seasonal patterns in the rates of photosynthesis were similar in shaded partridgeberry and eastern hemlock.’
- ‘Partridgeberry brightens the drab forest floor in fall and winter, its mats of evergreen leaves and scarlet fruits hugging the ground.’
- ‘One surprising inclusion was the humble partridgeberry, a plant often underfoot and overlooked.’
- ‘An evergreen vine, partridgeberry grows up to a foot long, with a whitish, trailing stem.’
- 1.1The fruit of a partridgeberry plant.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips