Basic Guidelines For English Spellings
- another term for patronymic‘You are only its bearer, nothing more than the agent for the transmission of the patronym.’
- ‘Denied his patronym, Jeremy is truly "illegitimate."’
- ‘The second claimant is Joseph Conrad, who has already been mentioned under his patronym, Korzeniowski.’
- ‘In Spanish-speaking countries, a man takes on his mother's maiden name as a last name, but uses the patronym as the middle name and the official name.’
- ‘In this period - the middle of the 19th century - variations in their patronym occurred and it was standardized as Normand dit Poupeville.’
Mid 19th century via French patronyme ‘family name’ from Greek patrōnumos (see patronymic).
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips