Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
(of a vertebrate limb) having five toes or fingers, or derived from such a form, as characteristic of all tetrapods.
- ‘No single mutation can produce a pentadactyl limb of vertebrate type on a Drosophila.’
- ‘These morphological facts show that the pentadactyl limb arose after the fin-limb transition and is the product of the canalization of the phenotype of the archaic limbs.’
- ‘Others include pentadactyl feet and presence of a clavicle.’
- ‘First, it's quite easy to ‘imagine’ a vertebrate without the pentadactyl pattern.’
- ‘The pentadactyl pattern is a repeated design because it was available.’
Early 19th century from penta-‘five’ + Greek daktulos ‘finger’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips