Relating to digestion, especially that in which pepsin is concerned.‘peptic activity’
- ‘Helicobacter pylori is believed to be a major causative agent of human peptic disorders including chronic gastritis and ulcers.’
- ‘In the rabbits given human gastric juice, peptic activity was detected in the lavage fluid in 8 of 8 animals at 15 minutes, 6 of 8 at 30 minutes, and 5 of 8 at 60 minutes.’
- ‘However, studies have not found a link between alcohol consumption and peptic ulcers, and drinking decaffeinated coffee produces the same amount of acid secretion as its caffeinated counterpart.’
- ‘Absence of blood rules against peptic disease.’
- ‘They are also at risk for peptic strictures, which may obstruct the esophagus and result in dysphagia.’
Mid 17th century from Greek peptikos ‘able to digest’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips