Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
An order of mammals that comprises the odd-toed ungulates.
- ‘‘Odd-toed’ or ‘odd-hoofed’ mammals make up the Perissodactyla.’
- ‘Some later authors have favored placement of Cetacea closer to Perissodactyla among living orders.’
- ‘Artiodactyls stand in contrast to the ‘odd-toed ungulates,’ the Perissodactyla, in which the plane of symmetry runs down the third toe.’
- ‘However, it is noted that horses, an outgroup species from the order Perissodactyla, are also classified with pigs and camels.’
- ‘With these 11 taxa, it was possible to score support for the benchmark clades Carnivora, Cetartiodactyla, and Perissodactyla.’
Modern Latin (plural), from Greek perissos ‘uneven’ + daktulos ‘finger, toe’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips