1North American informal Placing too much emphasis on trivial or minor details; fussy.
fussy, difficult to please, difficult, finicky, over-fastidious, fastidious, over-particular, particular, faddish, finical, dainty, punctilious, hair-splitting, exacting, demanding, critical, overcriticalView synonyms
- ‘she's very persnickety about her food’
- ‘And while she could occasionally be persnickety about certain things, she didn't need Dante telling her that.’
- ‘Trailing fuchsias are especially persnickety about their environment.’
- ‘The only cultural feature they are persnickety about is well-drained soil.’
- ‘I watched them in disgust, thanking the Lord Almighty I am nothing near as persnickety as they are.’
- ‘He is passionately persnickety in a way that Hollywood has typically undercut and portrayed as snobby.’
- ‘He dropped all his other investigations and for two days solely observed this persnickety pulsar.’
- 1.1Requiring a particularly precise or careful approach.‘it's hard to find a film more persnickety and difficult to use than black-and-white infrared’
- ‘This persnickety approach is forcing some companies to shape up.’
Late 19th century alteration of pernickety.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips