Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
Crude iron as first obtained from a smelting furnace, in the form of oblong blocks.
- ‘Energy-intensive blast furnaces, convert iron ore to pig iron, while coal is converted to coke.’
- ‘In the 1780s, Henry Cort developed the puddling furnace, which allowed pig iron to be refined in turn with coke.’
- ‘Steel manufactured in electric arc furnaces from scrap uses far less energy than traditional openhearth furnaces using pig iron.’
- ‘The remaining methods for making steel do so by removing impurities from pig iron or a mixture of pig iron and steel scrap.’
- ‘In the next two years when profits remained low, cargoes consisted mainly of iron ore, pig iron and some shipments of coal.’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips