Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A forked swimming limb of a crustacean, five pairs of which are typically attached to the abdomen.
- ‘In contrast, arthropods such as the lobster possess distinct maxillipeds, pereopods, pleopods, and uropod.’
- ‘Occasional specimens show preservation of delicate structures such as pleopods and antennae/antennules.’
- ‘The eggs can be kept in open brood pouches or attached to the pleopods of the female, as in pleocyematan decapods, or freely released in the environment, as in penaeid shrimps.’
- ‘Sex determination was based on the morphology of the first pleopod and brood pouch if present.’
- ‘Often, a biologist need only examine the pleopods to make a family-level designation, thus making the dorsal carapace features superfluous in the diagnosis.’
Mid 19th century from Greek plein ‘swim, sail’ + pous, pod- ‘foot’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips