Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
Relating to or characterized by rainfall.‘the alternation of pluvial and arid periods in the Quaternary’
- ‘Left by a passing glacier, the boulders acted as umbrellas to the softer rock beneath, protecting it from pluvial erosion.’
- ‘Evidence of pluvial lakes have been used in the reconstruction of palaeoclimates, using shoreline evidence and analysis of lake sediments to link lake levels to climate.’
- ‘That is, if the pluvial conditions are such that a rainbow is produced, then that rainbow will look very different from the norm.’
- ‘I must have a pluvial character because this sort of weather is my favourite.’
- ‘Early theories generated late in the nineteenth century correlated cold periods with times of pluvial conditions in arid regions.’
A period marked by increased rainfall.
Mid 17th century from Latin pluvialis, from pluvia ‘rain’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips