Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
(especially in recipes or on menus) fried potato chips.
- ‘Others stare blankly into the distance with the composure of condemned men contemplating their last plate of pommes frites and steak au poivre.’
- ‘Sated with soup and wine and pommes frites, and champagne to boot, the company turns nasty.’
- ‘It's as if they think the pork loin medallions in the port wine and currant reduction are better without the currants and are better served with pommes frites than they are served over wild rice like the menu says.’
- ‘Isn't it nice to know that, even on the edge of the Sonoran Desert, you can still get a good steak au poivre and proper pommes frites?’
- ‘It's best known for its fresh seafood, but, yes, you can get French fries - pardon, pommes frites.’
French, from pommes de terre frites, literally ‘fried potatoes’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips