Any of a class of pigments (including heme and chlorophyll) whose molecules contain a flat ring of four linked heterocyclic groups, sometimes with a central metal atom.‘Changes in apoprotein and porphyrin fluorescence suggest two classes of bound porphyrins.’
- ‘It should also be noted that the doming deformation in the NSD context does not involve the iron, but only the 24 atoms of the porphyrin ring.’
- ‘These observations suggest that the generation of 102 by lipophilic porphyrins occurs within the bilayer, which is also the site of damage.’
- ‘The NSD method has been used extensively to describe and analyze the out-of-plane distortions of porphyrins in heme proteins.’
- ‘The researchers used a nanoparticulate semiconductor electrode coated with a light-sensitive porphyrin or chlorophyll dye.’
- ‘In this work a systematic study of the photophysical properties of four cationic porphyrins in liposomes is performed and results are compared with those found in homogeneous media.’
Early 20th century from Greek porphura ‘purple’+ -in.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips