Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A brown powder used as an antiseptic for external application, consisting of a complex of polyvinylpyrrolidone and iodine.
- ‘Skin should be prepared with 1 or 2 percent tincture of iodine or povidone iodine for incision, suture and collection of blood for culture.’
- ‘The traditional hand-scrub consisted of a five-minute scrub with 4 percent povidone iodine or 4 percent chlorhexidine gluconate.’
- ‘The skin is then cleansed with povidone iodine or chlorhexidine solution, making sure to avoid wiping away the skin markings.’
- ‘He or she then dons sterile gloves and widely preps the patient's knee in a circumferential fashion with povidone iodine or another appropriate solution if the patient is allergic to iodine.’
- ‘The anesthesiologist preps the area with povidone iodine and covers it with a fenestrated drape.’
1950s povidone, contraction of polyvinylpyrrolidone.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips