1Done or produced as a matter of form.
- ‘pro forma reports’
- 1.1attributive Denoting a standard document or form, especially an invoice sent in advance of or with goods supplied.
official, legal, authorized, approved, validated, certified, endorsed, documented, sanctioned, licensed, recognized, authoritative, accepted, verified, legitimate, lawful, valid, bona fide, proper, prescribed, pro forma
- ‘a pro forma invoice’
- 1.2attributive (of a financial statement) showing potential or expected income, costs, assets, or liabilities, especially in relation to some planned or expected act or situation.
- ‘revenues in excess of 35 million dollars on a pro forma basis’
As a matter of form or politeness.
- ‘he nodded to him pro forma’
A standard document, form or financial statement.‘please return the enclosed pro forma’
- ‘The commission and city should review all feasibility studies and pro formas (such as balance sheets and income statements) to ensure the viability of the project requesting city funds.’
- ‘The SEC is examining whether new rules are needed to clarify financial reports and perhaps restrict use of pro formas.’
- ‘We shall complete the pro formas in the course of the day and they will be available to the parties before the end of the week.’
- ‘The Tribunal had before it no evidence as to the way in which those pro formas were completed.’
Early 16th century from Latin.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips