Each segment in the strobila of a tapeworm, containing a complete sexually mature reproductive system.
- ‘Their bodies are long and flat, made up of many segments called proglottids.’
- ‘Posterior to the scolex are segments called proglottids.’
- ‘About 10 posterior proglottids from each of five adult cestodes were longitudinally disrupted with sterilized forceps.’
- ‘Eggs are released by disintegration or rupture of ripened proglottids.’
- ‘Each segment, or proglottid, may contain as many as 40,000 eggs.’
Late 19th century from Greek proglōssis, proglōssid- ‘point of the tongue’, based on glōssa, glōtta ‘tongue’ (because of its shape).
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips