Basic Guidelines For Spanish PronunciationsREAD THIS ARTICLE
Severe itching of the skin, as a symptom of various ailments.
- ‘When the lesions are rubbed, they manifest erythema, edema, pruritus, and occasional bullae formation.’
- ‘Latex allergic reactions range from pruritus to erythematous, weeping lesions.’
- ‘Liver transplantation may be considered in response to liver failure, or if the patient has uncontrollable pruritus or severe osteoporosis.’
- ‘The most common symptom in urticaria pigmentosa is pruritus, which may be treated with [H.sub.1] receptor antagonists.’
- ‘There is no effective treatment for pityriasis rosea, except that patients who experience severe pruritus may benefit from topical corticosteroids and oral antihistamines.’
Mid 17th century from Latin, ‘itching’ (see prurigo).