Not genuine; spurious or sham.
artificial, synthetic, simulated, man-made, manufactured, ersatz, substituteView synonyms
- ‘we are talking about real journalists and not the pseudo kind’
- ‘In appraising the mass of evidence, which has thus been collected, one has to be careful to weed out pseudo from genuine research.’
- ‘SYNTHETIC SNAKESKIN - Similar to synthetic leathers, pseudo snakeskins have a fabric backing which makes them less fragile than real snakeskins.’
- ‘These models served as a pseudo laboratory to examine the effectiveness of various fiscal and monetary policies in smoothing out economic fluctuations.’
- ‘But with the advent of colour inkjet printers, the power to make dinky, pseudo - 3D model buildings is now in everyone's hands.’
- ‘Healthy and whole human beings are required - not pseudo machines and imitation heroes who are not what they appear to be.’
nounplural noun pseudosderogatory
A pretentious or insincere person.
- ‘the artsy chat of a campus pseudo’
Late Middle English (as a noun in the sense ‘false apostle or teacher’): independent use of pseudo-.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips