Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
The basic monetary unit of Botswana, equal to 100 thebe.
- ‘More than four-fifths of it is made up of the Kalahari desert, and little grows in a land where water is so scarce its monetary unit is the pula - the Setswana word for ‘rain’.’
- ‘The dollar this week made up ground on the Zimbabwe dollar, the Romanian leu, and Botswana pula.’
- ‘Botswana was offering a Harvard-trained scientist who had developed a drinking problem and could no longer be relied upon to keep quiet about the real reason of the pula's strength.’
- ‘Workers argue that the board's coffers are bulging with 12 million pula (more than two and a half million US dollars), which puts it in a good financial position to pay the arrears.’
- ‘‘This man does not look after his cattle properly,’ declared Mr Mokosi before fining the culprit 2,000 pula, more than the cost of a cow, and dismissing the case.’
Setswana, literally ‘rain’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips