- ‘students greeted him as he walked through the quad’
- ‘9,294 women gave birth to twins, while 147 had triplets, and five had quads’
3A quadriceps muscle.
- ‘I have well-developed quads but my glutes are not all they could be’
4A quad bike.
- ‘inexperienced riders on quads and mopeds’
5Quadraphonic sound.‘we issued records in two forms at once, stereo and quad’
- ‘This means that a quadraphony transmission must be capable of reproduction through a stereo or monaural receiver.’
6(in telephony) a group of four insulated conductors twisted together, usually forming two circuits.
- ‘These units can contain one, two or eight LEDs, the duals and quads available in tower versions only.’
7A radio antenna in the form of a square or rectangle broken in the middle of one side.
marketplace, close, quadrangle, quad, courtyard
- ‘The monthly electric bill to run a high-speed quad can hit $14,000.’
8informal A traditional roller skate.
- ‘I have been skating on Ice, roller, quads, blades for over 20 years.’
- ‘Even then, quads aren't as fast as low cut inline speed skates.’
- ‘I'm sure the people kept wondering, ‘Why struggle with those blades when the quads are so much better?’’
A small metal block in various sizes, lower than type height, used in letterpress printing for filling up short lines.
Quadruple or quadraphonic.