A flower cluster with the separate flowers attached by short equal stalks at equal distances along a central stem. The flowers at the base of the central stem develop first.
bunch, clump, collection, mass, knot, group, clutch, bundle, nest
- ‘In both experiments, flowers on racemes from main stem nodes in the middle of the canopy were tagged before anthesis and their development and growth were monitored.’
- ‘Flowers emerge on terminal racemes and are subtended by small bracts.’
- ‘The flowers grow in a raceme, an unbranched stalk that blooms from the bottom up.’
- ‘In summer, the tall flower stems bear racemes of up to 20 huge, strongly perfumed, white, trumpet-shaped flowers with glossy green leaves.’
- ‘All three species have similar flower phenology: in general, the terminal raceme matures acropetally and the flowers are first staminate, then pistillate, and the sexual stages do not overlap within the flower.’
Late 18th century from Latin racemus ‘bunch of grapes’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips