Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A medieval stringed instrument played with a bow, typically having three strings.
- ‘Viols, rebecs, citterns, lutes, and wooden flutes help.’
- ‘The moment these records first appeared, pop groups were experimenting with sackbuts, rebecs and crumhorns.’
- ‘For example, they did not often gather together with harps and rebecks to celebrate their national glories, or to hymn their national heroes.’
- ‘Traditional Arabic music uses string instruments, such as the rebec, lotar, ud, and kamanja.’
- ‘The rebec was played with a bow, probably of wood and horsehair.’
Late Middle English from French, based on Arabic rabāb.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips