1(also ice rink)An enclosed area of ice for skating, ice hockey, or curling.
playing area, enclosure, field, ground, ring, rink, green, alley, stadium, track, arena
- ‘the girls were planning to go ice skating at the rink in George Square’
- 1.1A smooth enclosed floor for roller skating.
- 1.2A building containing an ice rink or roller rink.
- 1.3The strip of a bowling green used for playing a match.
2A team in curling or lawn bowling.
stadium, amphitheatre, theatre, coliseum
- ‘he helped his rink to win by 35 shots to 4’
Late Middle English (originally Scots in the sense ‘jousting ground’): perhaps originally from Old French renc ‘rank’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips