Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A candle or small light left lit in the sanctuary of a church, especially (in Catholic churches) a red lamp indicating the presence of the reserved Sacrament.
- ‘If you would like a member of your family, neighbour or friend remembered, please sign their name in the Book of Prayer for Our Exam Students, which is to be found near the sanctuary lamp.’
- ‘The renovations yielded a surprise when workers came across the original sanctuary lamp of the cathedral, which has now been restored to its former glory.’
- ‘A local craftsman is now set to clean and restore the traditional sanctuary lamp which has become badly discoloured over the years.’
- ‘A silver and silver-gilt sanctuary lamp was replicated by Caldwell and confirmed with a sketch at the bottom of a letter.’
- ‘The tabernacle, sanctuary lamp and all brasses have been cleaned, polished and lacquered in both Mulranny and Tiernaur churches.’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips