- US spelling of savoury
An aromatic plant of the mint family, used as a culinary herb.
Genus Satureja, family Labiatae: several species, in particular the annual summer savory (S. hortensis), which is traditionally used with beans, and the coarser flavoured perennial winter savory (S. montana)
- ‘Harvest culinary and medicinal herbs like lemon balm, mint, French tarragon, summer savory and basil before they go to seed.’
- ‘Together with dill, sorrel and summer savory, parsley was one of the herbs grown in every garden.’
- ‘Certain herbs will also grow well in cooler temperatures including cilantro, winter thyme, winter savory & sage.’
- ‘A versatile culinary herb that belongs to the same plant family as thyme is winter savory.’
- ‘Sprinkle the dish with black pepper and garnish with winter savory.’
Middle English perhaps from Old English sætherie, or via Old French, from Latin satureia.