1A specialist in a particular branch of study, especially the humanities; a distinguished academic.‘a Hebrew scholar’
academic, intellectual, learned person, professor, man of letters, woman of letters, mind, intellect, savant, polymath, highbrow, bluestockingView synonyms
- ‘a phrase borrowed from the Indian scholar Ananda Coomaraswamy’
- 1.1mainly archaic A person who is highly educated or has an aptitude for study.
clever person, intellectual, intellect, bluestocking, thinker, highbrow, mind, scholar, sageView synonyms
- ‘Mr. Bell declares himself no scholar’
- 1.2A student holding a scholarship.
- ‘a Rhodes scholar’
- 1.3 archaic A student.pupil, student, schoolchild, schoolboy, schoolgirl, learnerView synonyms
Old English scol(i)ere ‘schoolchild, student’, from late Latin scholaris, from Latin schola (see school).
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips