1The intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.
branch of knowledge, body of facts, body of information, body of knowledge, area of study, discipline, fieldView synonyms
- ‘the world of science and technology’
- 1.1A particular area of science.‘veterinary science’
- ‘the agricultural sciences’
- 1.2A systematically organized body of knowledge on a particular subject.
- ‘the science of criminology’
- 1.3 archaic Knowledge of any kind.
learning, erudition, education, scholarship, letters, schooling, scienceView synonyms
- ‘his rare science and his practical skill’
Middle English (denoting knowledge): from Old French, from Latin scientia, from scire ‘know’.