verbscrams, scramming, scrammedinformal
1no object, usually in imperative Leave or go away from a place quickly.
go away, depart, leave, take yourself off, take off, get out, get out of my sightView synonyms
- ‘get out of here, you miserable wretches—scram!’
2with object Shut down (a nuclear reactor) in an emergency.
- ‘when the power is cut off, the unit will automatically scram the reactor’
3no object (of a nuclear reactor) shut down in an emergency.
- ‘the reactor scrammed unexpectedly after an electrical malfunction’
An emergency shutdown of a nuclear reactor.
- ‘the power plant was cited for its high rate of scrams over the past year’
- ‘Both the number of safety-system activations and scrams are about one tenth of what they were in 1985.’
Early 20th century probably from the verb scramble.