1A tall annual herbaceous plant of tropical and subtropical areas of the Old World, cultivated for its oil-rich seeds.
Sesamum indicum, family Pedaliaceae
- ‘Maize and sesame are common in the irrigated farms along the Wabe Sha ile River.’
- ‘Most of the crops are from dry land including groundnuts, sunflower, green gram, sesame and soya.’
- ‘The farmers in the village grew ragi, cow pea, pigeon pea, green gram, jowar, horse gram and sesame.’
- 1.1The edible seeds of the sesame plant, which are used whole or have the oil extracted.
- ‘I look at the people in the cars all being served with processed meat on sesame seed buns.’
- ‘Pour black sesame seeds into one small shallow bowl and white seeds into another.’
- ‘It packs a powerful yet sensual punch, thanks to a blend of mint leaf, sesame seed and hazel wood.’
- ‘Add 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar, a dash or two of ground black pepper and a couple drops of sesame seed oil.’
- ‘They should know what really lurks between those sesame seed buns.’
- ‘One oil commonly used in stir-frying is sesame seed oil, which has a high specific heat so you cook faster, leading to a fresher final dish.’
- ‘In a bowl, combine soy sauce and sesame seed oil.’
- ‘Every last sesame seed had to be removed from his bread and the chef had to specifically prepare his vegetables to make sure they didn't contain any green beans, squash, or peas.’
- ‘Moon Cake is named for an annual Chinese harvest festival during which people eat sweet cakes, often made partly with lotus or sesame seed and bean paste and generally shaped like the full moon the festival celebrates.’
- ‘Two onions, a blueberry, a sesame seed, and two egg bagels, still hot, lay nestled at the bottom.’
- ‘They are obvious to the naked eye but get no larger than a sesame seed.’
- ‘They cost about 7 dollars and they are served on an oversized sesame seed bun with lettuce, tomatoes, onion rings and fries.’
- ‘She cut off a piece off a large sesame seed loaf and toasted it whilst looking at the spreads.’
- ‘I went for the turkey combo with a sesame seed bagel, which was turkey, tomato, cheese and baby spinach.’
- ‘Then I topped a gargantuan sesame seed bagel with a layer of creamy butter and a thick chunk of Gouda before biting into it.’
- ‘Shichimi is a mixture of chili peppers, pepper leaf, poppy seeds, mustard seeds, sesame seeds, rapeseeds, dried orange or lemon peel.’
- ‘Costing a mere €7.20, this light potato pancake was filled with kimchi and served with soy sauce, sesame seeds, garlic and finely chopped leeks.’
- ‘On the living room table are three huge salad bowls and onions, tomatoes, feta cheese, sesame seeds, beetroot, celery, spinach and garlic.’
- ‘They can be found in cold-pressed olive oil, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds and marine oils.’
- ‘Soybeans, sesame seeds, whole grains and wheat germ are good vegetarian sources of zinc.’
Late Middle English via Latin from Greek sēsamon, sēsamē; compare with Arabic simsim.
Are You Learning Spanish? See Our Spanish Content Below!