Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
The female principle of divine energy, especially when personified as the supreme deity.
- ‘Smartas worship the Supreme in one of six forms: Ganesha, Siva, Sakti, Vishnu, Surya and Skanda.’
- ‘In the Smarta sect, Surya is worshiped as a major Deity, along with Ganesha, Vishnu, Siva, Sakti and Skanda.’
- ‘Saktas refer to the Supreme as Sakti, Smartas call the Supreme Being Brahman, and to Vaishnavas He is Vishnu.’
- ‘Vishnu, Brahma and Shiva were invoked - then Shakti (the feminine principle) took over, in her Parvati, Mahalakshmi, Saraswati, and Kali aspects.’
- ‘The very first tale tells us that the active force behind creation was Parvati's Shakti rather than Siva's power.’
From Sanskrit śakti ‘power, divine energy’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips