1Feces.excrement, bodily waste, waste matter, ordure, dung, manure, scat
- 1.1An act of defecating.excretion, discharging faeces, excreting faeces, passing faeces, evacuation of one's bowels, opening one's bowels, going to the lavatory
- 1.1An act of defecating.
2A contemptible or worthless person.scoundrel, villain, rogue, rascal, brute, animal, weasel, snake, monster, ogre, wretch, devil, good-for-nothing, reprobate, wrongdoer, evil-doer
3Something worthless; garbage; nonsense.
nonsense, balderdash, gibberish, claptrap, blarney, blather, blether, moonshine
- ‘this book is shit’
- 3.1Unpleasant experiences or treatment.
painful experience, unpleasant experience, trial, tribulation, test, nightmare, trauma, baptism of fire, hell, hell on earth, misery, trouble, difficulty, torture, torment, agony
- ‘I went through a lot of shit last year’
4Things or stuff, especially personal belongings.
belongings, possessions, stuff, property, worldly goods, goods, personal effects, effects, paraphernalia, impedimenta, bits and pieces, bits and bobs
- ‘he left his shit at my apartment’
- 4.1Events or circumstances.
events, happenings, affairs, business
- ‘some crazy shit happened last night’
5Any psychoactive drug, especially marijuana.narcotic, stimulant, hallucinogen, addictive drug, recreational drug, illegal drug, substance
1no object Expel feces from the body.excrete, discharge faeces, excrete faeces, pass faeces, have a bowel movement, have a BM, evacuate one's bowels, open one's bowels, void excrement, relieve oneself, go to the lavatory
- 1.1shit oneselfSoil one's clothes as a result of expelling feces accidentally.
- 1.2shit oneselfBe very frightened.
2with object Tease or try to deceive (someone)
- ‘I shit you not’
3shit onno object Show contempt or disregard for.
An exclamation of disgust, anger, or annoyance.
- as — as shit
Possessing the specified quality to a high degree (used for emphasis).
Be outstandingly good or impressive.
An exclamation expressing anger or contempt for, or rejection of, someone.
For no reason except to amuse oneself; for fun.
Organize oneself so as to be able to deal with or achieve something.
Lose one's composure.
Used as a way of confirming or seeking confirmation of the truth of a statement.
Said humorously to express the view that someone is stating something that is completely obvious.
- ‘there are a few worrying findings: the first is that congestion causes stress (no shit, Sherlock) and the second says that traffic jams may cause brain damage’
1970s with ironic reference to the famously perceptive fictional detective Sherlock Holmes.
Not care at all.
Not know anything.
Be extremely nervous or frightened.
A stupid person.
When the disastrous consequences of something become public.
Do something to an excessive or extreme degree.
US vulgar slang
US vulgar slang
mainly North American vulgar slang
Old English scitte ‘diarrhea’, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch schijten, German scheissen (verb). The term was originally neutral and used without vulgar connotation.