nounmass nounvulgar slang
1Faeces.excrement, bodily waste, waste matter, ordure, dung, manure, scat
- 1.1count noun An act of defecating.excretion, discharging faeces, excreting faeces, passing faeces, evacuation of one's bowels, opening one's bowels, going to the lavatory
- 1.2the shitsDiarrhoea.
- 1.1count noun An act of defecating.
2count noun A contemptible or worthless person.scoundrel, villain, rogue, rascal, brute, animal, weasel, snake, monster, ogre, wretch, devil, good-for-nothing, reprobate, wrongdoer, evil-doer
3Something worthless; rubbish; nonsense.‘this book is shit’nonsense, balderdash, gibberish, claptrap, blarney, blather, blether, moonshine
- 3.1Unpleasant experiences or treatment.‘I went through a lot of shit last year’painful experience, unpleasant experience, trial, tribulation, test, nightmare, trauma, baptism of fire, hell, hell on earth, misery, trouble, difficulty, torture, torment, agony
- 3.1Unpleasant experiences or treatment.
4Things or stuff, especially personal belongings.‘he left his shit at my flat’belongings, possessions, stuff, property, worldly goods, goods, personal effects, effects, paraphernalia, impedimenta, bits and pieces, bits and bobs
- 4.1Events or circumstances.‘some crazy shit happened last night’events, happenings, affairs, business
- 4.1Events or circumstances.
5An intoxicating drug, especially cannabis.narcotic, stimulant, hallucinogen, addictive drug, recreational drug, illegal drug, substance
verbshits, shitting, shitted, shit, shatvulgar slang
1no object Expel faeces from the body.excrete, discharge faeces, excrete faeces, pass faeces, have a bowel movement, have a BM, evacuate one's bowels, open one's bowels, void excrement, relieve oneself, go to the lavatory
- 1.1shit oneselfwith object Soil one's clothes as a result of expelling faeces accidentally.
- 1.2shit oneselfwith object Be very frightened.
2with object Tease or try to deceive (someone).
An exclamation of disgust, anger, or annoyance.
- (as) — as shit
Used for emphasis.
Be outstandingly good or impressive.
Beat (someone) very severely.
Used to indicate that something is blatantly obvious.
Be extremely nervous or frightened.
For no reason except to amuse oneself; for fun.
Organize oneself so as to be able to deal with or achieve something.
Make someone annoyed or angry.
Very bad or badly.‘drummers get treated like shit’‘I felt like shit this morning’
- ‘Hearing that made me feel like shit.’
- ‘Heading into the bathroom to go pee, I noticed that I looked like shit.’
- ‘I knew that the music sounded like shit.’
- ‘I was treated like shit by the people who played, because I couldn't kick a ball anymore.’
- ‘Mila woke up feeling like shit.’
Lose one's composure.
Used as a way of confirming or seeking confirmation of the truth of a statement.
Not know anything.
Not care at all.
Be in an awkward predicament.
A stupid person.
When the disastrous consequences of something become public.
US vulgar slang
Australian, New Zealand vulgar slang, informal
US vulgar slang
North American vulgar slang
Old English scitte ‘diarrhoea’, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch schijten, German scheissen (verb). The term was originally neutral and used without vulgar connotation.