1British A sleeveless garment worn under or instead of a shirt; a vest.
- ‘Equally as beautiful as his womenswear, this featured plain white singlets studded with gold sequins, low-slung cream trousers and kimono print shirts.’
- ‘Winter has settled in, you're not wearing a singlet under your business shirt and you have your first sneeze… she thinks you caught pneumonia and you're going to die.’
- ‘Others had on only singlets and cotton trousers as they jumped into the water.’
- ‘Tommy is wearing a baseball cap, a singlet and combat shorts, revealing several tattoos.’
- ‘Alas, after a while, the sight of board shorts, singlets, jandals and sunglasses will make you wince.’
A single unresolvable line in a spectrum, not part of a multiplet.
- ‘To break supersymmetry using the F-term, one can add chiral multiplets that transform as singlets under the gauge symmetries in the theory.’
- ‘Superimposing such a diffractive structure on an aspheric surface yields an achromatic singlet whose spherical and chromatic aberrations are corrected.’
- ‘The singlet is detectable as a quintet at room temperature in methemoglobin with identical spectral features to those of the well characterized tyrosyl radical in photosystem II.’
- 2.1A state or energy level with zero spin, giving a single value for a particular quantum number.
- ‘A small singlet-triplet energy gap is known to favor intersystem crossing.’
- ‘Its superconductivity is often assumed to be unconventional in that the Cooper pairs are not in a spin singlet state with s-wave symmetry, as with conventional superconductors.’
- ‘The reorganizational energy of the singlet ET was also calculated from the temperature-dependent data and found to be 0.89 eV.’
- ‘Do aggregates of A2E have a higher singlet-oxygen quantum yield rather than monomers?’
- ‘Energy can be transferred from the singlet state to the triplet state via intersystem crossing.’
An atomic or molecular state in which all electron spins are paired.as modifier ‘singlet oxygen’
- ‘However, reactive oxygen species generated by UVA radiation, particularly singlet oxygen, can also damage nucleic acids.’
- ‘The origin of the initial spike observed upon detection of singlet oxygen luminescence remains unresolved.’
- ‘The study of the excited states properties has shown that its photoreactivity in neutral aqueous medium is singlet initiated.’
- ‘It can thus be regarded as a simultaneous excitation of two triplets, whose coupling generates an overall singlet state.’
- ‘And where does the singlet oxygen, the energy source, come from?’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips