1A garment fastened around the waist and hanging down around the legs, worn by women and girls.
- 1.1The part of a coat or dress that hangs below the waist.
- 1.2 archaic An edge, border, or extreme part.
2A surface that conceals or protects the wheels or underside of a vehicle or aircraft.
- 2.1The curtain that hangs round the base of a hovercraft to contain the air cushion.
3An animal's diaphragm and other membranes as food.
- ‘bits of beef skirt’
- 3.1British A cut of meat from the lower flank.
4 informal Women regarded as objects of sexual desire.
5A small flap on a saddle, covering the bar from which the stirrup leather hangs.
transitive verb[with object]
1Go round or past the edge of.
go round, move round, walk round, circle, circumnavigateView synonyms
- ‘he did not go through the city but skirted it’
- 1.1Be situated along or around the edge of.
border, edge, flank, fringe, line, lie alongsideView synonyms
- ‘the fields that skirted the highway were full of cattle’
- 1.2skirt along/aroundno object Go along or around (something) rather than directly through or across it.
- ‘the river valley skirts along the northern slopes of the hills’
2Attempt to ignore; avoid dealing with.‘they are both skirting the issue’
avoid, evade, steer clear of, sidestep, dodge, circumvent, bypass, pass over, fight shy ofView synonyms
- ‘the treaty skirted around the question of political cooperation’
Middle English from Old Norse skyrta ‘shirt’; compare with synonymous Old English scyrte, also with short. The verb dates from the early 17th century.