Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A fast-growing, long-needled pine found in low-lying coastal areas of the southeastern US, Central America, and the Caribbean, commonly harvested for timber.
Pinus elliottii, family Pinaceae
- ‘The open canopy consists of longleaf pine with occasional slash pine.’
- ‘In Ocala National Forest, foresters and local volunteers replaced slash pine with stronger, more resilient longleaf pine.’
- ‘In wetter soils, slash pine replaces most longleafs.’
- ‘Significant inbreeding depression was found for rust resistance in slash pine.’
- ‘The area once boasted the Florida state champion slash pine before it was struck by lightning.’
From slash, a US term for swampy ground.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips