Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A test carried out on a sample of cells from the cervix to check for abnormalities that may be indicative of cervical cancer.
- ‘If a biopsy confirms the dyskaryosis detected in a smear test, this may be termed cervical intraepithelial neoplasia, which is just another way of saying cervical cell changes.’
- ‘She was diagnosed with cervical cancer after a routine smear test in 2002.’
- ‘It is recommended that women go every year for a pap smear test, which can detect early warning signs of cancer, but many walk-in clinics don't do such routine screenings.’
- ‘The group acknowledges that the current smear test, which was introduced in the 1940s, has been effective in reducing deaths from cervical cancer.’
- ‘Eighteen months earlier, a routine smear test had shown abnormal cells, but further tests revealed no sign of cancer.’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips