nounplural noun specialties
1A pursuit, area of study, or skill to which someone has devoted much time and effort and in which they are expert.
forte, strong point, strength, métier, long suit, strong suit, talent, skill, bent, gift, claim to fame, department, pièce de résistance
- ‘his specialty was watercolors’
- 1.1A product, especially a type of food, which a person or region is famous for making well.
- ‘a restaurant serving freshly made local specialties’
- 1.2as modifier Meeting particular tastes or needs.
- ‘specialty potatoes for salads’
2A branch of medicine or surgery.area of specialization, specialty, field of study, area, branch of knowledge, medical field, surgical field
A contract under seal.
Late Middle English (denoting the quality of being special or distinctive): from Old French especialite or late Latin specialitas, from Latin specialis (see special).