Basic Guidelines For English Spellings
1An aviator or aircraft employed in locating or observing enemy positions.as modifier ‘spotter planes’
- ‘Sequences are shown featuring artillery attack on enemy positions directed by a circling spotter plane.’
- 1.1British A person who looks for or observes a particular thing as a hobby or job.
- 1.2North American A person who observes weather patterns on behalf of an organization.
- ‘the National Weather Service said a spotter had called in to report a tornado touching the ground near Somonauk’
- 1.3A person who observes or assists a gymnast or weightlifter during a performance or practice in order to minimize the chance of accidents or injuries.
- ‘We had spotters when we played on the rock-climbing wall and we practiced falling off stilts in a way that would lessen the impact on our bodies.’
- 1.4A member of an auto racing team who sits above the track and communicates with the driver by radio about what is happening along the course.
- ‘NASCAR mandated that spotters had to be positioned above the grandstands during practices’
- 1.5US informal A person employed by a company or business to keep watch on employees or customers.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips