Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
1A device that sprays water.
atomizer, vaporizer, aerosol, sprinkler
- ‘There was a water sprinkler to wash down the streets after the market.’
- ‘Irrigators are responsible for the costs of all on-farm irrigation equipment such as pipes and sprinklers.’
- ‘The main method of irrigation for peanuts is overhead sprinklers.’
- ‘Unlike overhead sprinklers, no water is lost to evaporation.’
- ‘If you do use overhead sprinklers, water during the early morning so your plants have time to dry before nightfall.’
- 1.1A device used for watering lawns.
- ‘The kids from next door play ball in the street or ride on their skates and bikes, today they are playing under the sprinklers on their lawn.’
- ‘Gardeners, for example, have been encouraged to limit the use of fertilizers and pesticides and will be asked to show restraint with the lawn sprinklers.’
- ‘I remember sitting on the patio, with the French windows open and a sprinkler going on the lawn, and eating the Cornettos and feeling like this was the most amazing, decadent thing ever.’
- ‘Hand-watering with a hose can eat up a lot of your time and can waste a lot of water, as can sprinklers.’
- ‘If sprinklers are spraying more water on paving or other unintended areas than on lawns, adjust them.’
- 1.2An automatic fire extinguisher installed in the ceilings of a building.
- ‘He also admitted that Bedfordshire Fire Service had recommended sprinklers be used at the centre.’
- ‘The fire alarm deploys a curtain covering the paintings, and then activates the sprinklers.’
- ‘A senior fire officer in charge of the incident had ordered sprinklers at the premises to be turned off.’
- ‘Law said some 70 building owners already contacted by the ministry have agreed to install sprinklers.’
- ‘Areas of the building prone to fires must have fire alarms and automatic sprinklers.’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips