verbno object, with adverbial of direction
1Gush out in a sudden and forceful stream.
squirt, shoot, spray, fountain, jet, eruptView synonyms
- ‘he cut his finger, and blood spurted over the sliced potatoes’
- 1.1with object and adverbial of direction Cause to gush out suddenly.
- ‘the kettle boiled and spurted scalding water everywhere’
2Move with a sudden burst of speed.
- ‘the other car had spurted to the top of the ramp’
1A sudden gushing stream.
squirt, spray, fountain, jet, spoutView synonyms
- ‘a sudden spurt of blood gushed into her eyes’
2A sudden marked burst or increase of activity or speed.‘late in the race he put on a spurt and reached second place’
burst of speed, turn of speed, increase of speed, burst of energy, sprint, rushView synonyms
- ‘a growth spurt’
Mid 16th century of unknown origin.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips