An oily liquid hydrocarbon which occurs in shark liver oil and human sebum, and is a metabolic precursor of sterols.
A triterpenoid; chemical formula: C₃₀H₅₀
- ‘Sebum is produced in the sebaceous glands and consists of glycerides, wax esters, squalene, and cholesterol.’
- ‘Approximately 80% of the cholesterol in your blood is synthesized in your liver from squalene.’
- ‘Human sebaceous glands secrete a lipid mixture of mainly triglycerides, wax esters, free fatty acids, and squalene.’
- ‘Olive oil also contains squalene and oleuropein, which are powerful antioxidants, protecting blood cholesterol from oxidation.’
- ‘Olive oil is rich in monounsaturated fat and antioxidant compounds including oleuropein and squalene.’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips