1(of a machine or device) begin operating or being used.
begin working, start functioning, get going, start operating
- ‘he heard the sound of a car starting up’
- 1.1start something up, start up somethingCause a machine or device to begin operating or being used.
activate, set in motion, switch on, turn on, fire up
- ‘he started up the boat's engine’
2Embark on a venture or undertaking, especially a commercial one.
- ‘I can't start up on my own without capital’
- 2.1start something up, start up somethingEstablish a company or other enterprise.
- ‘when we started up the business, we could only afford second-hand machines’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips