The building in which the business of the Company of Stationers is transacted, and in which works were formerly registered for copyright.
Registration at Stationers' Hall began in 1557, and until the Copyright Act of 1710 (the ‘Statute of Anne’), only a member of the Company could register a work. The Copyright Act of 1842 provided that no action for breach of copyright could be brought unless the work had been entered in the Stationers' Register. This rule was abolished under the Copyright Act of 1911, although the law was not fully implemented until 1923. Registration of new works at Stationers' Hall ceased in 2000.
Mid 16th century; earliest use found in Ordinances for Reformation Printing of Bookes.