Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A powerful synthetic oestrogen used in hormone therapy, as a post-coital contraceptive, and as a growth-promoting agent for livestock.
- ‘For example, thyroxine for thyroid cancer, tamoxifen for oestrogen receptor positive breast cancer, and stilboestrol for cancer of the prostate.’
- ‘Female hormones lead to gynecomastia, as demonstrated in patients with alcoholic liver disease and those who have been treated with drugs such as stilbestrol.’
- ‘So you don't think that we'll have a stilboestrol problem which is the problem where women, to prevent miscarriage, got high doses of oestrogen in the hope that it would prevent the miscarriage.’
- ‘After 11 years of stilboestrol treatment, he was transferred to three monthly injections of LHRH analogue (Zoladex) to reduce the risk of developing the cardiovascular side effects associated with stilboestrol.’
- ‘As part of an investigation into the mechanism of the enterohepatic circulation of stilboestrol the passage of stilboestrol and its monoglucuronide conjugate into sacs of everted rat intestine was studied.’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips