Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
1A cinnamon-brown stingray occurring on sand flats in shallow Australian waters.
Urolophus testaceus, family Urolophidae
- ‘Once sexually mature, stingarees have only one litter per year, usually bearing two to four young.’
- ‘This site is shallow but very interesting with many stingarees, globefish, flathead, velvetfish and salmon.’
- ‘At least six species of stingarees are known to live along the New South Wales coast.’
- ‘In addition to this defensive poisonous sting, most stingarees have cryptic coloration, which acts as camouflage in the sandy or rocky bottom of their habitat.’
- ‘Once the trail turns south towards the opposite side of the entry point, you'll pass over the sandy channel that always has small stingarees and flathead lying on it.’
- 1.1US, Australian, New Zealand informal Any stingray.‘The sloop smack S.R. Packer arrived at New-London, Conn., Thursday from Montauk and brought the skeleton of a 200-pound stingaree, which he harpooned off the Block Island breakwater.’
Mid 19th century alteration of stingray.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips